Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Emerald City.

I had the opportunity to visit Seattle, Washington a couple of weeks ago. The primary reason for the trip was to watch the San Diego Chargers play the Seattle Seahawks, but Seattle has always been a place I have wanted to visit. The trip was a lot of fun, especially since it was a big group of us that went up together for the game. Unfortunately, we lost to the Seahawks so I will not be talking about that because it is still too soon and the wound is still fresh.


ready for kickoff.
ready for kickoff.


The city of Seattle is beautiful. I believe that is the best way to sum it up. A friend of mine put it well by saying, “It’s like San Francisco, but cleaner.” S.F. is also a very nice city, but it had it’s share of griminess that I did not see while I was in Seattle.

from above.

The first day I was there was Saturday the 25th. Arrived there around noon and the weather was perfect. Sunny with no clouds really. As soon as I dropped everything off at the hotel we headed down to Pike’s Place. Downtown Seattle itself is a cool place to walk around. On the way to Pike’s I recognized the members of the band ‘The xx’ just kickin’ it on a street corner. I stopped and spoke to Oliver (vocals & bass), who was a super chill dude. He told me they were playing a show that night at the Paramount and I was also able to get a picture with him. That alone was enough to give high praise to the trip itself.


It was a neat experience to walk through Pike’s after seeing it many times on television or in print. The market is set up with plenty of walking space for everyone and the street itself was shut down to accommodate the crowd. Got the chance to see the 1st Starbucks, which didn’t do much for me due to the fact that I don’t drink coffee. After Pike’s we hit up The Brooklyn seafood restaurant and then headed back to the hotel to relax for a few.


Sunday ended up being all about football. Started off with a morning meet up with a large contingent of Charger fans at a Gordon Biersch before the game. The day started off full of excitement, but unfortunately it ended with a near fight, disappointment, anger, frustration, and exhaustion. I got the chance to take some decent shots of Seattle as we made our way to the stadium and of the stadium itself, which was cool, but a win would have made everything better.

o Canada. O Canada.

fish eye. fish eye.

Monday morning I woke up and headed out by myself to snap as many shots of whatever caught my eye. I wasn’t able to take any shots of Pike’s or anything else for that matter on Saturday because I had a massive brain fart and left my camera in the hotel room. So Monday was all about the city, my camera, and I. As soon as I was out the door I turned on the iPod, walked, and snapped whenever I got the brain impulse to do so.



The weather, in my opinion, was great. Sunny on Saturday, drizzling on Sunday, drizzling and then mostly sunny on Monday. My flight left @ 4 on Monday and I was not looking forward to returning to 108 degree weather in San Diego. Seattle (except for the fans, who were major douches) left a great impression on me. It is a city that I will surely return to, hopefully sooner than later.


No comments: